Tuesday, December 22, 2015

How To Get Your License Back After A DUI Arrest In California

Anyone arrested in California gets there license confiscated and cannot get it returned until they go through a DMV hearing or wait until the suspension is over.  In CA if you are a first offender and took a chemical test the suspension is 4 months.  If you hired an attorney and you had a blood alcohol level of .08 or higher he or she will tell you a way to get your license back without having to wait the full 4 months.

 Here is how you can get reinstated early, after you wait 30 days after the suspension:

First, get enrolled in a first offender DUI school called an AB541 class, they are all over the state and you can click here to find a class in your area.  DUI schools in California.
Tell the program provider that you wish to "self enroll" in the first offender DUI program for DMV purposes and that you have not been ordered to enroll from a Court, nor have you been convicted in the criminal Court.  They may want to see a current DMV printout called an H6 that you can get from any DMV office.  Call the program ahead of time and ask if you will need the H6.  You can also tell them that your attorney instructed you to enroll in the particular class therefore an H6 is unnecessary.

Next, get an SR22 which is a formal proof of insurance, for more information on this process visit our article on preparing for a DMV hearing.

Lastly, pay the required reissue fees with the DMV.

Once you have done all of these things you can get your license back to drive for work and school, it will remain restricted for up to 5 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment