Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Getting Your License Back After A DUI Arrest With a Prior

How To Get A Restricted License After A DUI

This article will provide information about how to get your license reinstated after a DUI suspension.  This article is intended for people who have multiple DUI convictions on the record if the DMV suspended your driving privilege based on an APS suspension also known as .08 or more you are eligible to obtain a restricted license immediately with the installation of an IID. With this restriction you can drive any time anywhere as long as the vehicle you are driving is equipped with an ignition interlock device (IID).  You will have this restriction for up to one year.  To apply for this restricted license must do the following:
  1.    Provide proof of enrollment in a suitable DUI program. This program is called the SB38 program.  The program is for a period of 18 months.
  2.    Provide proof of insurance. This is referred to as an SR 22 document that must be filed directly from your insurance provider to the DMV.
  3.    Provide proof of in ignition interlock device, this is done using a DL 924 The IID provider will typically file this directly with the DMV however you may need to present it to the DMV along with your other paperwork. 
  4.   You must pay a reissue fee of $125, to the DMV.  Lastly, you must have no other holds or suspensions on your driving privileges for child support or any failure to appear.

Once you have satisfied the above requirements you should visit the DMV office, and appointment is recommended. Assuming all of the above have been satisfied you will receive a hard license from the DMV that is very similar to the license you had before your arrest. It is important to understand that this restricted drivers license applies only to the APS  suspension.